Naturally Raised. Naturally Delicious.
Braised Beef Shank Ragu
- 2lb Beef Shanks
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Red Wine
- 4 Cups Beef Stock
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Large Shallot, Diced Small
- 2 Large Serrano Chili Peppers, Seeded
- 1 Large Carrot, Diced Small
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, Minced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 28oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 8-12oz Pappardelle Noodles
- Fresh Italian Parsley, Chopped
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- In Dutch oven or 4-quart braising pan, heat extra virgin olive oil and quickly sear Beef Shanks on all sides. Remove shanks and set aside.
- Add shallots, carrots, and Serrano chilis to pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute together for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 2 minutes on medium heat. Add red wine to pan to deglaze. Bring to a simmer and reduce by half. Add beef stock and bring to a simmer, reducing by a quarter.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and beef shanks to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir to mix all ingredients together.
- Place pan in preheated over for 2 – 2 1/2 hours. Meat is done when it is fork
tender and falls away from the bone. Remove shanks from the pan and shred the meat.
- Return braising pan to the stove top. On medium high heat cook the braising liquid until thickened and reduced by half.
- Return shredded beef to pan and heat thoroughly. Serve over pappardelle
noodles. Garnish with fresh Italian parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.