Naturally Raised. Naturally Delicious.
Fork Tender Brisket with Cacao Nib Rub
12 Hours (for rub to permeate Brisket)
- 1 4-5lb Brisket, Untrimmed
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Cut into 1/2 Inch Strips
- 3 Celery Stalks, Cut into 1 Inch Pieces
- 1 Head of Garlic, Cut in Half
- 3/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 4 Cups Beef Stock
- 4 Cups Water
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp Nuance Chocolate Roasted Cacao Nibs
- Toast cacao nibs over medium heat in a dry skillet about 2 minutes. Crush nibs, red pepper flakes, pepper, and salt with a mortar and pestle. (You can also grind together in a spice or coffee grinder).
- Coat brisket with cacao rub generously on all sides.
- Chill covered for at least 12 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron roasting pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sear brisket, fatty side down, turning after about 12 minutes. Sear other side for 8-10 minutes and then with tongs, quickly sear edges of the brisket. Remove to a sheet pan or large platter.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, salt, and pepper and cook until the onion is beginning to caramelize.
- Add celery, garlic, and thyme and stir thoroughly to coat.
- Add vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and 4 cups of beef stock.
- Submerge the brisket in the pan, fatty side up. If you need to add more water, add just enough to submerge.
- Bring to a simmer on the stove top, and then immediately place into
- Braise for at least 3 hours.
- Check the brisket. It should be very tender with the tip of a knife easily slicing into the meat. If not, braise an additional 20 minutes and check again.
- When the brisket is knife tender, increase the oven temperature to 425° F and continue to let it cook, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced by three-fourths and the top of the brisket is crisp, about an hour.
- Remove from oven and discard the garlic, onions, and celery.
- Let cool slightly for 5-10 minutes, transferring to a cutting board.
- Slice with a serrated knife and enjoy!