cacao nib crusted steak with red wine & chocolate sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375° F
2. Mix the cocoa and brown sugar together in a small bowl or plate. Lightly coat the steaks on both sides with cocoa/brown sugar mixture and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a sauté or cast-iron skillet. Sear the steaks on each side until each side has a deep chocolate brown crust.
4. Transfer pan to oven and cook to desired doneness– about 9-10 minutes for medium rare.
5. When steaks have reached your desired doneness, remove the steaks to a platter or cutting board and let rest while making the sauce.
6. In the same pan, over medium heat, add the shallots and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they have softened.
7. Add the wine and beef broth; increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by at least a third.
8. Add the mustard and stir to combine.
9. Add the cacao nibs and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
10. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired.
11. Finish with 1 Tbsp butter. Add chopped parsley and then spoon the sauce over your steaks.