braised beef shank ragu
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In Dutch oven or 4-quart braising pan, heat extra virgin olive oil and quickly sear Beef Shanks on all sides. Remove shanks and set aside.
3. Add shallots, carrots, and Serrano chilis to pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute together for 1 minute.
4. Stir in tomato paste and cook 2 minutes on medium heat. Add red wine to pan to de-glaze. Bring to a simmer and reduce by half. Add beef stock and bring to a simmer, reducing by a quarter.
5. Add tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and beef shanks to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir to mix all ingredients together.
6. Place pan in preheated over for 2 – 2 1/2 hours. Meat is done when it is fork
tender and falls away from the bone. Remove shanks from the pan and shred the meat.
7. Return braising pan to the stove top. On medium high heat cook the braising liquid until thickened and reduced by half.
8. Return shredded beef to pan and heat thoroughly. Serve over pappardelle
noodles. Garnish with fresh Italian parsley and freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.